This app is not for emergency purposes - if you are in a crisis, call 911 immediately.
We require schools in the United States who want to offer their students 13 and under the opportunity to use our META Application, including in conjunction with the establishment of a META account for the school or a group of students at the school, to take responsibility for notifying you via this direct notice of the personally identifiable information we collect and for obtaining your consent for such collection as required by the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”). For more information about COPPA and general tips about protecting children’s online privacy, please visit: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/childrens-online-privacy-protection-rule.
(1) THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT CHILDREN AND HOW WE USE IT
Meta offers to its users access to the Meta Website and Application, which can be used in the management of mental wellness services for children. However, children under the age of 13 are not eligible to register directly for a user account. A parent or legal guardian can create a user profile on behalf of a dependent child and attest that they have legal authority to do so. Below we summarize potential instances of collection. Any data entered into the Application about a minor child is retained in compliance with applicable law. In the event we discover we have collected information about a child in a manner inconsistent with COPPA’s requirements, we will either deactivate the user account or immediately seek the parent’s consent for that collection.
INFORMATION PROVIDED DIRECTLY TO US
Generally, we collect personal information upon registration of a user account or through use of the Services, including but not limited to, demographic information (name, age, DOB, gender, etc.) (address, email address, telephone number) information, Mental Wellness/medical histories, medication use, current adverse conditions, financial information, including Insurance Coverage information, and school information (school name, grade, class schedule, etc.). The personal information we collect is used to operate, maintain, and provide to the user features and functionality of the Application.
AUTOMATICALLY COLLECTED INFORMATION
When users interact with us, certain information may automatically be collected, including but not limited to, persistent identifiers such as device identifiers or IP addresses, information about a user’s web browser, the frequency with which a user visits various parts of our sites or applications, and information regarding the online or mobile service provider. This information is collected using technologies such as cookies and other unique identifiers. This data is principally used for internal purposes only or as otherwise permitted by COPPA, in order to:
Help administer the Site and the servers that provide the Site;
Generate statistical information, monitor and analyze Site traffic and usage patterns;
Improve the Site’s content and content delivery, including any online content, materials, and services that we describe or make available on the Site; and
Analyze trends, administer the Site, track users’ movements around the Site and gather demographic information about our user base as a whole.
In the event we collect (or allow others to collect) such information from children on our Site for other purposes, we will notify parents and obtain consent prior to such collection. Please contact us with questions about our privacy policies and collection and use practices.
We do not collect precise location data. If the Site collects geolocation information that is specific enough to equate to the collection of a street address, we will first seek parental consent via email.
(2) WHEN INFORMATION COLLECTED ABOUT CHILDREN IS AVAILABLE TO OTHERS
META only discloses user information of children 13 and under when:
- We have a user’s explicit consent.
- We believe it is necessary to investigate potential violations of our Terms of Service, to enforce the Terms of Service, or where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud or potential threats against persons, property or the systems on which we operate the Website or Application.
- We determine that the access, preservation or disclosure of information is required or permitted by law to protect the rights, property or personal safety of META or users of the Application, or is required to comply with applicable laws.
- We do so in connection with the sale or reorganization of all or part of our business, as permitted by applicable law.
- We may disclose personal information if permitted or required by law, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we also may disclose personal information collected about children in response to a law enforcement or public agency’s (including schools or children services) request.
(3) PARENTAL CHOICES AND CONTROLS
As a parent, you may access, review, correct or delete personal information that we maintain about your child, and may refuse to permit further collection or use of your child’s information at any time or elect to deactivate their user account or that of their minor child, in accordance with law by contacting us as set forth above.
HOW TO CONTACT US.